Thursday, May 7, 2015

Honestly, the people here .....

I'd like to take a moment and completely stereotype an entire population... Yeah, I know I shouldn't make such generalizations because they aren't 'sensitive' but I just have to get this off my chest.

For the past 5+ months I have sailed and explored the British Virgin Islands with my wife. We have been simply taken aback with the friendliness of the people, their general courteousness, regardless of age or station, and their willingness to help cruisers like us. Not once did we feel put upon, cheated or mistreated on any way.... well... some marinas are overpriced...

Today, a couple of natives of Tortola cemented my opinion by going above and beyond to cover for my oversight. ... A week ago I walked away from breakfast and left my small dry bag behind; complete with phone, camera, SPOT, and a portable USB battery. Nearly $1k worth of possessions.

We'd sailed off and by the time it was noticed it was too late to turn around. Several phone calls revealed little hope.

A week later I returned in person, retracing all my steps and asking around.
Turned out that a conscientious and honest employee had recovered my stuff and taken it home so that no one amongst the cruise ship crowd would grab it.
She tried calling a few numbers but couldn't speak English well enough to really get the message across.

Thinking the phone might be in bad hands I locked it remotely.
She then began spreading the word and a lot of business folks knew she had it. I got connected with her and she would only accept a hug as a reward.

So... my opinion?

Everybody in the BVI is awesome. and you can't argue me out of it smile emoticon

No comments: