Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why Spend 12 Dollars?

Airboat rides are about $24.00 up the drive from where we are parked right now. Since we are residents of the park we get half off. They run all day every day and are a pretty cool 'feature' of living where we live. People come from all around, I guess, to go see the Everglades and perhaps catch a glimpse of the wildlife (spelled 'alligator') that are over a million strong out there. We have taken two rides thus far, once when Brecca and Nichelle came to visit and recently when Mom came out. On both occasions we got up close and personal with gators that couldn't really care less about our presence. I suppose it's that way when you'ce been around about 130 million years, you become tolerant of other short-term species invading your space from time to time. Nonetheless, it is fascinating to be near these ancient creatures and the airboat drivers are goodat spotting and maneuvering close to them with spooking them. Both our rides have been tons of fun.
So yesterday, just before sunset, Robin and I hiked down to the park's 'General Store' to pay them a visit and enjoy the sunset from their patio. It turned out to be a bit breezy and pretty cool so we hiked around instead of sitting still and wouldn't you know Robin says "Is that a gator head sticking up over there?". Well, I couldn't quite make it out and I couldn't quite tell if it was just a piece of wood or some other flotsam in the water, so I hiked down the hill and came right up to him before I figured it out. Wishing I had a real camera, I did get a shot with the phone.

OK, this is very, very cool. It was a big one .. a real big one :) I estimated the Eye-to-Snout distance at about 12-14 inches.


But I didn't have a ruler handy...
I think they get much bigger when there is no safety net or fence or boat between you and the animal. There was a small dock close byand we walked out to get a better angle but because thewater was already getting dark we couldn't do any better at making out his length.
We walked up to the within 15 to 20 feet of the fellow (we have no idea how to tell a male from a female, but I've always assumed that it was ok to address a dinosaur as 'sir'.) and decided not to push our luck by investigating any further. It's quite an interesting feeling to be so close, and to think that this is not a tour nor is it Disney. We left well enough alone, but it was a strong, fascinating desire to want to get closer and see this amazing thing.

We came back home and were just kind of giggling about what we see in our back yard :)

No comments: