Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Here's a test, with a twist.


This is a new one for us.  I have been deeply engrossed in trying to figure out brand new technology that many sailors have been using as 'run of the mill' basics for years and years.  This week I have been taking my basic radio, computer and procedural illiteracy into the mysterious realm of Single Sideband and emails and faxes and magical weather forecasts called "GRIBS". 
To say that it's a bit overwhelming is an understatement at best.  There is so much to grasp and get sorted out and I am proud to say that I have accomplished connectivity at a base level.  So, included in all that experimentation is this new piece of being able to post an entry to our blog directly from out email capability.  If this post actually does show up on our blog, its because smarter people than me have put together the technology to make it relatively easy for me to get access to my blog from any email source.

This particular post is from an internet connected laptop, but if it is good, I will attempt to follow it up with one via SSB radio and PACTOR II modem; kind of the old fashioned way but it is a huge capability considering that in most cases we can communicate via email from nearly any spot on the globe is the SSB is working and the propagation is good. 

Holding my breath as I press 'send'.  We shall see :) 

No comments: