Saturday, November 29, 2008

Genuine Thankfulness

I'm not real sure where to begin...



This Thanksgiving was unlike any that Robin and I have ever experienced. Thanksgiving is marked by reflection and gratefulness, and by traditions and family times. This one was different, as it marked the first time we've not been able to trek to Washington state to be with family and to share the good times and warmth of the gathering. The travel to Florida and the schedule for our training has put us in aspot where we can't really get away for more than a weekend, so we were able to plan a first for us; Thanksgiving for two.



Thanksgiving day started at 5:15 A.M. with a trip to Fort Lauderdale to deliver two fine young ladies to the airport. These two guests had spent a week with us exploring the territory, scouting out South Beach and setting out for the Keys on their own adventures while we had our normal work week and managed to spend as much precious time together as we could squeeze out of the days.

Last week Brecca arrived on Thursday evening after an adventurous trip and Friday evening Nichelle arrived to complete the package. We stayed two nights in Fort Lauderdale and got as much beach time as we could stand given the reather chilly, windy weekend (there...I said it ... it got 'chilly' here in Florida :) ).

We shared a great meal and after dinner visit time with Robin's uncle Tommy and thoroughly relished exploring, hiking, dining and visiting in the Fort Lauderdale area. The Yankee Clipper hotel is a nice place to stay with walk-out access to the beach and the gracious folks a couple of hotels down the road allowed Robin and I to have breakfast in their cafe even though it was for guests only and the only payment method they would accept was the room key (which we didn't have). ... After a visit to the front desk it was all squared away, and when we asked if we could come back tomorrow they said 'no'. :)

Ah well, it's all about adventure, no?



After the weekend we returned to the fifth-wheel and spent the next three days in the work routine while the girls went driving, beaching, and exploring. It sure sounded like the had a grand time, which was the ultimate goal of the visit.

Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) we all met up a Joe's Stone Crab in South Miami Beach. It is an acclaimed restaurant and we weren't disappointed. A fine meal with an amazing atmosphere. Good food, good service, and best of all great company.



Thanksgiving morning dawned early, as we needed to make the FLL airport by about 7:00 A.M. and it is about 45 miles north of us. There was very little traffic (I never get to set the cruise control on Miami expressways) and we made it in plenty of time to drop them off. I truly hope they had a great trip and know that they are welcome any time.



The rest of Thanksgiving day was spent in a non-traditional manner...as non-traditional as I have ever done. We did laundry and I washed the exteior of the fifth-wheel ... well .. most of it ... umm ... ok ... about half of it, but it was the hardest part! I still had Colorado bugs on the front of the coach that were tenaciously hanging on to their ride. Since you can't use abrasives on gel-coat, it took a good while, a lot of elbow grease and a few paper towels to get them cleaned off.



OK, so there were some traditions being kept up after all ... I did indeed manage to get some Christmas light hung up and turned on, we did sit down and share a meal, although turkey sausage on the grill is as close as that came to being traditional. We did send some time chatting about our fortunes and that of those around us. And we played the older Christmas videos (Miracle on 34th Street, The Bells of St. Mary, It's a Wonderful Life) all day on the TV. I also got to make a couple of phone calls to stay in touch with family. All in all, a great day and a great week.



So, here's my speech: I'm thankful for what I have, for who I have around me and for the gifts that God almighty has given me. These gifts include love and freedom, friendship, health, family my job and my history. I look back on the blessings that have been given me with true awe. The path has been strewn with joy and pain, and like so many of us I've made good and bad decisions along the way.
Well, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been there so as the song goes; "God bless the broken road ..."

I'm most thankful for a second chance.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments: